IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Friday, March 1, 2013

Month 2 Recap

Today marks the end of my 2nd month in working towards my goal of reaching 1000 miles by the end of this year! And I'm still on track! 

See recap below:






I completed 76 miles this month compared to 80 in January, which is still on pace considering there are fewer days in February. I also started incorporating two-a-day runs into my routine, which helped me keep up the mileage throughout the shorter month. 

Last month, my average min/mile came out to a little over a 10:30 min/mile, so I've cut back on that as well. I incorporated some interval runs this month, so my overall time looks a little slower than it should be, but I'm still happy with it and there is still room to improve. In January, my goal was to get it under a 10 min/mile (which I accomplished), so for March, I'm shooting for a 9:45 min/mile overall. 

In January my longest distance run was 6 miles. In February I went for 7. This weekend I'm going to attempt to tackle a 10 mile run. Why, you ask? Stay tuned Monday for some exciting news!!

I hope everyone has a great weekend! 

3/1/2013: Miles run - 156 of 1000. Miles remaining - 844 of 1000 

4 comments:

  1. Well done staying on track in a short month!

    I was reading some of your other posts about your joint pain...another way, besides supplements, is to incorporate more trail running into your weeks if at all possible. Even just running on a make-shift dirt path that runs next to the bike path is much easier on your joints. I run trails on weekends and bike paths during the week, and I notice a big difference between how my joints feel - and I run much longer over the weekend (like 10-14 miles each weekend day and only about 6 or so during the week). Doing leg strengthening exercises really helps, too...focusing on your hips and quads, since they are the muscles that most help to keep your knee aligned.

    I'm excited to see how this journey goes for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Logan! I'm planning on doing my 10 mile run tomorrow on a dirt path trail, so hopefully that'll help. The Glucosamine supplements have made a little bit of a difference, but I'm sure the pavement in my neighborhood is a big culprit of my knee pain!

      What kind of leg exercises do you recommend?

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
    2. A lot of leg lifts, ha...it's like a return to the 80's. Lunges and squats are always good. For hips I do "clamshells" if you just do a search for it there are some good instructions. You can always use workout bands for extra resistance if those are too easy.

      Delete
  2. You are right on track for meeting your goal!! I love running, but have year to run 1000 miles in one year. Thanks for stopping by Running, loving, Living!! I look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete