IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Two-A-Days

Yesterday was a first for me. I ran twice in one day. I completed 5 miles at lunch and a little over 2 miles in the evening with my mom and Cobalt. Let's just say my knees are feeling it today! I wasn't tired or out of breath during my 2nd run, but my legs were hurtin'! 

Since I had a few hours to kill at the airport on Sunday, I bought the new monthly edition of Runners World magazine. 


After flipping through some pages, I came across an article that caught my eye. The article was called "Double Down - Run twice in one day?!" EXCLAMATION MARK, QUESTION MARK is right! Who would be crazy enough to do that? Ahem - me. I had to try it out after reading the certain benefits a double dosage could provide.

Running twice a day can be difficult for people with busy schedules, as it's already hard enough finding time in the day to complete one workout. It can also lead to a higher risk of injury if done too frequently and incorrectly. You don't have to be a marathon runner or log high-mileage runs in order to benefit from running twice a day. According to the article "Studies suggest doubling up and running in a depleted state can boost fat-burning, train the body to use glycogen more efficiently, and stimulate mitochondria production (more mitochondria can delay fatigue)." They also say that by shortening the time between your runs, you're challenging your body to recover faster, and faster recovery is a good thing. 

With that being said, you need to make sure to not overdo it. They recommend waiting 4-10 hours between runs and to start off by doubling your runs only once a week. Your 2nd run should be an easy, slower temper run, and no longer than 45-min. Don't worry about pace so much, but rather the fact that this run is helping aid in recovering from your first run by "increasing blood flow to the muscles and flushing out lactic acid and other metabolic waste products." Sometimes it's better to take 2 runs that you feel really good about rather than just one run that you were forced to tread through. 

Here are some guidelines they provide to make sure you don't overdo it
- Build a base - Accrue 18-24 months of running 4-5 times a week before adding doubles into your routine.
- Run by time - Start with a 2nd run of 20 minutes. Over time, build up to no more than 45 minutes.
- Ease into it - Begin with one double. After a week or two, add a second. Build up to no more than 4 doubles a week.
- Space it out - Allow at least 4 hours between doubles, and be sure to hydrate and fuel well between each.
- Stay Alert - If you start to feel sick, run-down, crabby, or achy, back off. You're probably overdoing it.

Seeing as how yesterday was my first time doing a double, I am taking today easy and going to head out for a short 3 mile run this afternoon. 

02/05/2013: Miles run - 87 of 1000. Miles remaining - 913 of 1000 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. Do you ever get really aching calves? I used to run a bit but stopped when my calves began to ache like mad. Haven't been back since. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I used to quite a bit, but I upped my water and banana intake, got better running shoes, and stretch a LOT before heading out. Hope that helps and you can get back into it :)

      Delete
  2. oh funny! I didn;t realize you also wrote a post about the runner's world article on two-a-days....great minds think alike :)www.runnerintherealworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete