IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Monday, January 20, 2014

3M Half Marathon Recap

Yesterday I completed my 3rd Half Marathon and finished in my fastest time yet! I went into it not expecting too much since I haven't run long distance (more than 7 miles) in a few months. My goal was just to finish under 2 hours...that's all I wanted.

Michelle and I pre-race...it was a bit cold.
I loved the shirt Kristen got me. It says "Love at First Run"

My iPhone app said I finished 13.1 in 1:52:28 (I hit 13.1 about a block away from the finish line...this usually occurs because the course is measured taking the sharpest turns and not weaving around people, so I actually probably ran around 13.2 or 13.3 miles). Taking this into account, my official results from the race website said 1:54:11. An 8:43 min/mile...I'll take it! 




I started the race thinking that I finished my first half in Washington DC in 1:53, but I just went back to look and it was really 1:57:29 ...so woot! I PR'ed (personal record) and I'm really happy with the results. 

I would like to take this time to give thanks to Kristen and my mom for coming out to cheer us on and Ke$ha and Miley for pumping me up when I needed it the most. "It's goin' down....I'm yellin' Timberrrrrr! You better move..."


The weather was perfect (mid-50's and sunny) and I loved the downhill course. There were a few uphills in certain places, but for the most part the elevation level went down throughout the course of the race. 


The race was very well organized and I enjoyed finally completing a half in my hometown! I knew exactly where I was at all points of the race and really enjoyed running thru some of the neighborhoods and seeing the community support. I absolutely loved ending at The Capitol. 

I have 3 more half's coming up before April, so I'm going to really work on chipping away at my time. 1:50 is my new goal. I definitely think I can do that if a) I move up a few corrals so I don't have to weave in and out of so many people and b) bring my own water bottle so I'm not wasting time stopping at the water stations and slowing down to hydrate. 

I felt great yesterday after the race (with the help of a few mimosas), but today it's hitting me. My calves are very sore and I have a blister on the bottom of my left foot that's making it almost impossible to walk without a nice little sway in my step. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, because I've got to be 100% by Friday - we are hitting the slopes in Breckenridge and I can't wait to be in the mountains for 5 days. 






No comments:

Post a Comment