IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Non-Running Related Post

Yay! Almost Friday! Welp, I was going to write about my massage last night and all of the benefits it provides for runners, but hey - guess what? I already did that a month ago and forgot about it. 

So instead, I'll write about a completely non-running related topic...

Jon and I are going to Italy in August! I'm so excited. I've never been anywhere in Europe. The only time I've been out of the country (besides Hawaii) has been Japan and Cancun. Europe is definitely on my bucket list. Ever since my parents went to Italy a few years ago, I've been very jealous.

Jon is actually half Italian, so he has a lot of friends and family over there that we will be able to stay with for a portion of the trip. And thankfully, he is 90% fluent in Italian so I'll be relying on him to do all the talking! I'm sure I'll feel left out of conversation at some point, but I think most people know English okay over there. 

I can't wait to drink wine every day and eat gelato for breakfast and hopefully not gain ONE pound since we'll be doing a lot of walking and eating very fresh food. I'm glad we will be spending time with his family and friends so that we have the opportunity to do what the locals do and discover the hidden, non-touristy parts of the country. 

I am a bit worried about getting behind in my running. We are going for a full 2 weeks and according to Jon, running is not a very common activity among the Italians, so I might stand out quite a bit if I'm running down the streets of Rome. Hopefully we can find a nice park or trail somewhere. I can't go 14 days without running...I just can't! 

4/4/2013: Miles run - 256.5 of 1000. Miles remaining - 743.5 of 1000 

2 comments:

  1. Oh you're going to have SUCH a good time!!! I've been to Italy three times and loved every single time. I wouldn't worry so much about the Italian's thinking you are crazy for running - just go out and run and see all the beautiful places! A lot of guidebooks have "walking tours" that are around 5 miles long...you could just follow one of those routes! It will be so nice to have family/friends to show you all the secret local places! Definitely enjoy the gelato!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be in Italy all summer and in Rome in August too!! How exciting! Even if I look funny I'm still going to run, I think it's a fun way to check out the city and honestly, when else are you going to have the chance to run by roman ruins and the colosseum on a casual 4 mile run?? :)

    http://runnerintherealworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete