IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Running With Your Dog

After my 3 mile run today, I took Cobalt out for a quick walk. For those of you who don't know, Cobalt is my 4 1/2 year old Great Dane. I got him from a breeder when he was 4 months old, and 170 lbs later, he's still the biggest baby I know.


The picture on the left is Cobalt on the day I got him.
The picture on the right is Cobalt on his 4th birthday (the old man looks thrilled). 

I wish more than anything I could take Cobalt on my runs with me. But there's a few reasons why I can't: 
1. He tore his meniscus in his back leg when he was about a year and half. He had to have surgery and we were pretty scared we might lose him. Everything turned out alright, but he still has a bit of a limp and the doctor said any intense or long distance running is the worst thing for his leg. We ended up putting him on Glucosamine and Chondroitin, which you can read about in my post here in regards to joint pain in runners. 
2. He sleeps 20 hours a day. I'm dead serious when I say he weighs 170lbs. That is a lot of weight for a dog to carry around (he's by no means fat or overweight, just a very large breed dog). He's in really good shape for his age and stature, but he gets tired even after a one mile walk.
3. When Cobalt does run (which is usually off leash in our yard), you do NOT want to get in the way. Picture a horse galloping. It's basically a full on sprint, usually right at you. The past few times I've attempted running a bit with him, he ends up going full speed ahead! 

"Watch out, I'm coming thru!"

I took some videos today of our walk, so y'all could get an idea of how this usually goes:

This is how our walks start off - I'm usually dragging him because he'd rather be sleeping...

But once we turn around and head home, he's all for a light jog back...

...All because he wants a drink from the water hose...what other dogs do this? 
He refuses to drink out of a normal dog bowl...

Then he crashes and sleeps like this...

Or like this...

Or this...yes, he's smiling


I love Cobalt more than any dog I've ever had and would never want to replace him. However, the day will come when he won't be around, and being the animal lover I am, I will get another dog. I'm really going to have to consider what breed will work best for me and my active lifestyle. Great Danes are amazing pets and the best dogs I've been around. But if I want to be able to run with my dog, I'll need to research other breeds out there. 

Benefits of running with a dog:
1. Great motivators! If this doesn't get you out of bed, I don't know what will? 
"Mom, can we pleeeeassseee go for a walk?!"

2. Keeps your dog physically fit. As if staying fit yourself wasn't important enough, knowing that it's your responsibility to keep your pet in shape and improve their quality of life is another great reason to take them running with you when possible.
3. Stops a destructive dog. Dogs have a ton of energy. If they don't have a good release, they could turn into a devil dog and ruin your things.
4. Bonding time! I don't know of a dog that hates to go for walks with their owners. Dogs LOVE to run! They'll appreciate you, show you love, and be thankful for the time spent together. Plus, it'll help you reclaim a love of running yourself because you can see how much joy they get out of it. Just like bonding with other human runners, the same thing can happen with your furry companion.
5. Make new friends. Many people walk their dogs daily, and if you live in a populated area, it's an easy way to meet new people. Most of the time your dog will do the "ice-breaking" for you. 

What are some of the best breeds out there for running partners?

One of my favorite bloggers, Julie at PBFingers.com, has a Vizsla named Sadie. She seems like a great running breed, as Julie posts about running 6+ miles with her. 


02/27/2013: Miles run - 152.25 of 1000. Miles remaining - 847.75 of 1000 

12 comments:

  1. Oh gosh he is so cute. I have always wanted a great dane, but am always so sad about not being able to run with them due to hip problems. I have a border collie/australian shepherd (ish) mix and he could run laps around me all day. Last weekend we went on a 10 mile trail run, so he was off leash for part of it (so he probably ran like 15 miles, ha), and when we got back home, he was just bringing toys over like "hey, wanna play?" Like you said, running is like THE only way to tame his energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Logan! He's a doll. I bet yours is cute, too!

      I'm sure I'll need to get some kind of "farm" type dog to be able to keep up!

      Delete
  2. Cobalt is such a cutie! Maybe I should get a dog to run with... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! they're the best :) I recommend

      Delete
  3. Kelsie, our border collie, Jetta, loves to run. She is so athletic and awesome, and like Logan said, after we get home she'd still jump for the frisbee if we're willing to throw it. She's all around awesome. I know not all dogs love the water, but Jetta loves the water, loves being outside and because she has a lot of energy is eager to play with her toys while we're gone. Clearly we eliminated anything she could chew outside after we lost our water hose to boredom, but if all she has is toys she's great! Definitely get a border collie! We got Jetta from the Ruff Mutt Border Collie Rescue in Terrel, TX, but there's also a BC Rescue in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Taylor! We had a border collie/corgi mix for a while, and he was okay to run with. He wasn't fixed, so you know those boy dogs...always having to stop and mark their territory, so that was a bit annoying. But yes, I'll more than likely get some kind of "farm" dog moving forward. They're great runners!

      Jetta is so cute by the way!

      Delete
  4. I would love to run with my dog, but given he's more of a sprinting chihuahua/pug mix, that dream usually lasts about five blocks of him dragging me followed by another five blocks of me dragging him before I give up and we just walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA cute! Yea smaller dogs can be tricky. My boyfriend used to have a dachshund who could keep up for a bit, but it bet its tough for them with their teeny little legs!

      Delete
  5. Aw! My dog doesn't like to run much either. She will go about 1/2 mile and then stop dead in her tracks. She will drink from a water bowl but she LOVES sprinklers. In the summer she will run into a yard with a sprinkler and start lapping at the water.

    ~ Coco
    got2run4me.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of dog do you have? Cobalt loves sprinklers too! And bath time :)

      Delete
  6. Awww such a cutie! I want a dog so badly but could never get one that big in NYC, they need room to run! I'd have to get a baby one that I could probably not run with either but for the opposite reason haha. Cobalt is SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya that'd be tough in NYC. Even though I did have Cobalt the first year of his life in a college apartment (1 bedroom). Granted he wasn't as big as he was now (probably around 100 lbs), but they really do sleep A TON!

      Delete