IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Monday, January 14, 2013

Joint Pain in a 24 year old??

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Mine was busy and productive, yet tiring. I feel so much better now that my move to Austin is complete and I'm finally home. I had so much on my mind with things to do and errands to run, so I am happy that I can relax, at last.

My mom came up to Dallas on Saturday morning to help with moving and cleaning. Even though we hired movers for the heavy lifting, we still did our fair share of work and got our workout from going up and down my 3 flights of stairs many times. We got back into Austin around 5:30 and the only thing I wanted to do was shower and have a glass of wine! :) It was well deserved.

Yesterday, we went and unloaded everything into my storage unit and returned the U-Haul. I was a little overwhelmed and feeling anxious about having so much stuff. I could feel a bad mood coming on, so I took off for a 6-mile run around my neighborhood. I ended up beating my last fastest time by cutting 3:30 off my time and completed the 6 miles in 50:19 (8:23 min/mile)! I was PUMPED after that and my mood did a complete 180. It's amazing what a good workout can do for you - both physically and mentally.


My body was hurting afterwards (specifically my knees) so I sat down to do some research on supplements I could start taking to help with joint pain and aches. I know pounding the pavement day after day is not exactly good for your body (which is why I am going to alternate outside and treadmill running, which I'll discuss another day). I have been a tad concerned about what long-term health issues running may have on my body, so I asked my dad what he suggested I take (My dad is by no means a runner, but he does have a degree in chemistry and biology, so I figured he might know what supplements could help).

After talking with my dad and Googling a few things, I decided that I need to start taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin. This isn's the first time I've heard of these supplements. My Great Dane, Cobalt, tore his meniscus a few years back and the vet recommended getting him on Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help with joint pain. Who knew I'd be taking the same pills as my dog!? But, I definitely think it helped his condition and we saw some improvement in his leg.

Would you look at that face! 

According to an Internet poll at Runnersworld.com, 94.5% of runners have tried Glucosamine and Chondroitin with 79.8% of them reporting their knee pain "somewhat improved" or "greatly improved" after taking the supplement. (Source). How could a runner say "no" to trying this with those kinds of results? I am purchasing the one below right NOW! Stay tuned for an update in a few weeks.

What supplements do you take to help with your workout pain? 




01/14/2013: Miles run - 29.5 of 1000. Miles remaining - 970.5 of 1000

8 comments:

  1. I take Glucosamine, I find that it helps. Also, you might try running on an outdoor track, they tend to be a lot less harsh on your knees. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish oil is good for joints as well.

      Delete
    2. I've tried Fish Oil but it makes my stomach a little upset. I know it's good for you, so I might just try and suck it up! Or take it every other day.

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried any supplements but I did go to the doctor because my IT band was acting up and he said I needed to strengthen my hips and gave me a few exercises. I haven't seen any changes (mainly because I have been slacking on the exercises) but I have started strength training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always notice my hips hurt as well after a long run (in addition to my knee joints). I think bad hips and bad backs run in my family, so I'm trying to take as much precaution as I can. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Interesting article. From my experience, I hope no one has this disease. In this you cannot walk and sit. Joint pain is the very painful disease. But it has the cure also. People will use supplements for joint pain and the natural therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this age is too young to have joint pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There a lot of teenagers who come with joint pains at Physiotherapy North Ryde and that is not due to any injury but the real reason behind is the the diet and the junk food they are having specially the chicken they are getting which brings a lot of hormonal changes in the body and the children are on their way to degeneration of bones.

    ReplyDelete