IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Monday, February 25, 2013

Weekend Recap and Running With A Partner

Happy Monday everyone! Hope y'all had a fantastic weekend. Mine was a treat! Jon came into town Friday afternoon and we crammed a lot of activities into a quick 48 hours together.

He arrived Friday afternoon from a conference in Vegas and was a tad tired. We grabbed a quick lunch and came home for a cat nap. I didn't want my mom to cook a big meal after a long week of work, so we decided on PaPa Murphy's pizza for dinner. I had never had their pizza before, but after my mom told me that you could customize your pie and that it was freshly made right in front of you for you to take home and bake yourself and they had thin crust, I was sold! My friend Chelsea and her boyfriend Hayden came over and we enjoyed some healthy pizza, wine, and cigars (for the boys) outside by the fire pit.


Saturday, we woke up and went golfing with my dad and his golfing buddies. I didn't actually golf (I drove the cart around and watched), but Jon and the 3 guys played a quick 5 hours. After that, Jon wanted to buy a gun so we ate some chinese food for lunch and went to the gun store. After a quick nap back home, we headed out to downtown Austin to meet up with my friend Korie.



Jon and I with my Dad
Before heading out in Austin

On Sunday, we slept in a bit and met up with a few of my extended family members for lunch at Jack Allen's Kitchen. I was really craving their Twisted Cobb Salad (with grilled chicken, roasted corn, grape tomatoes, cotija cheese, homemade corn nuts, and ranch vinaigrette) but on Sunday from 10-2 the only option if the buffet. I wish I would have known that before picking the place, but it was still delicious! 


Jon and I with my Aunt Tamie

After lunch, Jon convinced me to go for a run. Since we had such a busy weekend, I hadn't hit the pavement since Thursday, so I needed to get a few miles in before I got too behind. We did a quick 3 miles before heading to the airport for his 6pm flight. 

Surprisingly, that was the first time we had ever ran together in the 6 months we've been dating. He's about 6 or 7 inches taller than me, so I knew I'd either have to run faster or he'd have to run slower to make up for the difference in our strides. He ran slower. I wasn't about to try and keep up with his 6-7 min/mile pace! 

I was a bit weary about going for a run with him at first because I usually like running alone, listening to music, and I hate talking while running. But it actually made the time go by faster and I was forced to push myself and keep up the pace. I felt a little bad that all he got out of it was a brisk jog, while I was pushing myself to the limit, but it was a good experience overall. 

Running with a partner can actually be quite beneficial:
1. If you're comfortable with talking while running, a good conversation can make time fly by!
2. Running with a partner can be safer, especially for women and at night. 
3. I usually feel more comfortable testing out a new trail when I have someone else by my side. You never know what you may encounter on a new route. 
4. A partner can push you to that next level, if needed. Whether you just need help getting motivated to get outside and get moving, or if you're trying to hit a new personal record, having someone along for the ride can be a great motivational tool to provide you with that little nudge you need. 

This short month of February is almost over! 10 more miles to go by Thursday. Wish me luck! 

02/25/2013: Miles run - 146.25 of 1000. Miles remaining - 853.75 of 1000 



No comments:

Post a Comment