IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Warm Weather Runs vs. Cold Weather Runs

I wish Texas would decide if it wants to be cold or hot right now, because I'm not a fan of 75 degree weather one day and 50 degree weather the next. It's messing with my running! Today was a cold one (well, cold for me...about 52 degrees). But after running my 3 miles at lunch, I warmed right up! 

I am still debating which type of run is tougher for me. A cold weather run vs. a warm weather run? I wish I could run in 65-70 degree weather every day...it's perfect. 

But no excuses!


I do find myself running faster in cold weather, but it is much harder to breathe, my nose always runs, and I'm more prone to cramping. Whenever Texas randomly decides it's going to be a cold day, I need to stretch more and remember to take a tissue with me, because a runny nose and tight leg muscles can be a huge distraction. 



In the upcoming Texas Summer, I'm either going to have run early in the morning when it's somewhat cooler out or on the treadmill, because heat exhaustion is definitely possible here. You can always add more layers in cold weather, but disappointedly, we can't run naked to deal with the heat (how weird would that be?! I just googled "naked running" and started cracking up...I won't post it on here, but if you need some entertainment, check it out). 

Crazy people!


I'm still not sure which I prefer. Would you rather run in cold or warm weather, and why?

02/20/2013: Miles run - 132.25 of 1000. Miles remaining - 867.75 of 1000 

6 comments:

  1. We consider 50 degrees here in VA perfect running weather haha. I agree though, running in the cold is no fun, I hate runny noses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm sure if it was cold here more often, i'd be used to it! but it's very rare for cold days in texas! especially since it was really 75 yesterday ... in FEBRUARY!

      Delete
  2. In my opinion, cold is way waaayyyy better. You have a lower heart rate and can run farther without water.

    Also, you might enjoy this: http://imgur.com/a/kTecg#BrHoQ93

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Michael, those are great! thanks for sharing. I may steal a few and post here.

      and yes, i agree - i'm definitely never DYING for water after a cold weather run...that is a plus!

      Delete
  3. I actually really like running in warmer weather. I guess I kinda got use to it running the the Vegas heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Vegas dry heat though? I think I'd be able to do that over humid Texas heat!

      Delete