IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Friday, February 15, 2013

Running with Mom

Happy Friday!

Come April, my mom and I are running the Capitol 10,000 race in Austin. In order to start preparing,  I convinced my mom to go running with me after work on the trail I hit up last week. She agreed and we headed out. I wasn't quite sure how it'd go, seeing as how my mom is much more of the "power-walker" type and not so much a runner. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised and quite impressed. 

The trail is a 2 mile loop so I told her we were going to go around it twice because I needed to get 4 miles in (quite the long distance for a beginner like her). They have mile markers every 1/4 mile so we agreed to start off by alternating walking 1/4 mile and running 1/4 mile, and so on. The first few running sections were a little tough and our pace was slower than I'm normally used to. But after the first mile was logged, we just kept going! She didn't want to stop. We came back around to the beginning of the trail and walked a bit more before starting the loop again. We ended up finishing the 4 miles in about 47 minutes. This came out close to a 12:30 min/mile, which is much slower than my normal time, but is quite impressive for a mom who never runs. 

I think I can easily get her under a 12 min/mile before March if we keep it up and continue training. Once we hit that and continue on, I think she'll be closer to a 10 or 11 min/mile by the time the 10K race comes along in April. 



I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on her progress...whether she wants me to or not! :)

02/15/2013: Miles run - 112 of 1000. Miles remaining - 888 of 1000 

No comments:

Post a Comment