IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mid-Week Massage

Last night, I went and got myself a nice little one-hour massage at Massage Envy. Since I have frequent back pain and posture issues, I am a member of their monthly club and make a visit to see Megan (my masseuse) regularly. She does such a good job...I almost fell asleep twice last night!

Massages are great for my back, but they are also very beneficial for my running. Massages are the perfect solution for stiffness and pain after an intense workout. They increase overall blood circulation in the body, which delivers more oxygen to the muscles. More oxygen allows for longer endurance periods, minimal recovery time and reduced residual pain (which all runners are looking for!). Massages can also improve range of motion, creating more body flexibility. Increased flexibility allows you to perform exercise movements more effectively and with greater ease, which will help prevent injuries to muscles, joints and tendons. 

I strongly encourage everyone to get massages (if not monthly, as often as you can). It doesn't matter if you exercise 1 or 7 days a week, it WILL be awesome and helpful*. 

On another note, I was feeling a tad bored with my normal running route, so I decided to hop on the treadmill for an intense 45-min interval run. I haven't ran on the treadmill in over a month, so it was a great change up for me. 

Here's the workout I completed:



This interval run came out to about 3.75 miles. I usually don't pay attention to the calorie counters on machines, but this one said I burned 638 cals, which it certainly felt like I did...so I'll take it!

Isn't my mom's treadmill so much nicer than 'Ol Reliable??

Check back tomorrow for the month of February recap! 

02/28/2013: Miles run - 156 of 1000. Miles remaining - 844 of 1000 


*This is my opinion only. Please consult with a healthcare professional to make sure massages are right for you.




4 comments:

  1. Oh how I love getting a massage! It is the perfect indulgence.

    And awesome treadie workout! I think treadmill.com is looking for submissions for n e-book. Maybe you should submit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks! I'll check it out :)

      Delete
  2. Nice job just found your blog through Running bloggers great target don't envy you using the Dreadmill ;-) I'm doing something similar if your interested check out my blog we may be able to share some tips etc anyway good luck and enjoy eating those miles. http://365days3000km.wordpress.com/

    Brendon

    ReplyDelete

  3. Therapeutic spa is nice if we could go to the spa every day, but for most of us this is simply not practical or affordable. There are some spa is special such as comfortable heated foot therapy is being able to soak your feet in warm bubbling water that is both soothing and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete