IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Monday, January 21, 2013

Treadmill vs. Terrain

Happy Monday and MLK Day! I hope every one had a great weekend. 

While visiting my boyfriend in Pittsburgh, I was a little worried about getting in my weekend 6 mile run. There isn't a Gold's Gym anywhere around here and I refuse to run outside in weather under 50 degrees (I'm a spoiled Texan). Thankfully, we were able to print off a 7-day guest pass to LA Fitness where there were plenty of treadmills for me to use. I completed my 6 miles while watching the NFL Playoffs on the mini TV in front of me (I have a love/hate relationship with these), but my time was much slower on the treadmill versus my normal outdoor runs. 

There are mixed reviews about both, and everyone has their own personal preference, so I decided to list out the Pros and Cons for each. 

Treadmill:
Pros
- Weather isn't a factor
- Less impact on joints
- You can watch TV (if you're into that)
- Run at any time of the day - I'm usually a scaredy cat, and as a female I don't like running outside after sundown for personal safety reasons
- Control and track speed, distance, and time easily
- Not focused on dodging holes, ditches, sticks, etc. 

Cons
- BORING
- Uses the same muscles every time
- The belt is helping you do part of the work by propelling you forward, so you're exerting less effort and not getting the full benefits of running like you would outside. 

Terrain:
Pros
- Enjoy the scenery and see something new every day
- Burn more calories by exerting more effort and completing a challenging route
- Work different leg muscles by picking your terrain preference (pavement, grass, track, hills, etc.) 
- Weather - the wind can work in your favor
- FREE
- Don't have to drive to gym and deal with crowds
- Work towards a physical destination and finish line

Cons
- Weather - wind can work against you (combine a headwind with an uphill section and I'm dying!)
- Pounding pavement can be hard on your joints - check out my post about joint supplements you can take to help. 
- Since I don't like to run after dark, I have a small time frame where I can get my runs in outside. 
- Sun exposure 

Which option do you prefer and why?

01/21/2013: Miles run - 49.5 of 1000. Miles remaining - 950.5 of 1000


4 comments:

  1. I really dislike running on a treadmill because I get bored really easily. I am like you, I don't like to run in the dark because I am always thinking someone is behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too - especially if there's not a TV or people to watch :)
      And even though I live in a safe neighborhood, I still get nervous! especially when cars drive by

      Delete
  2. I've done long runs the past 2 weekends. Outside on 1st weekend and treadmill (w/ 1% incline) on the 2nd. For both runs I tried to keep a 160 bpm heart rate. My outdoor pace was about 9:00 min/mile, and treadmill was 9:40. So with the same effort I was about to go :40 faster outdoors. I was actually expecting the opposite result, not entirely sure why. The outdoor run was colder and I was running on a harder surface, that makes up some of the difference but probably not all of it. -skovie

    Also, if you have signed up for Strava.com yet, you are missing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just got the app last night -- looks awesome!
      I haven't found an app to measure heart rate, so i'll have to try it out.

      Delete