IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Friday, January 4, 2013

Should the Elliptical Count?

This is a question I've been mulling over for the past few days. Should miles completed on the elliptical count towards my goal of running 1,000 miles this year? There's no right or wrong answer per se, but technically this workout isn't running. The motion on the elliptical is somewhat similar to walking and running (depending on how fast you're going), but it's just not quite the same for me. In my mind, I'd feel as if I was "cheating" on my goal if I counted these miles. 

The reason I'm even asking this question is due to the fact that I live at an apartment complex with a gym in our clubhouse. We have 2 treadmills and 2 ellipticals there, and that's it for the cardio equipment! Last night when I went to run, both treadmills were taken. Not wanting to just STAND there, look awkward and lazy and wait, I hopped on the elliptical and did 1 mile before a treadmill was free. Usually, I would have chosen to just run outside instead, but it was freezing and already dark out. I'll be writing about treadmills vs. terrain running another day. 

With all this debate going back in forth in my head, by this time next week this question won't matter in my situation and I won't even have access to this clubhouse gym and the ellipticals. I am moving back home to Austin, where my parents have a treadmill at home and I will never have to wait my turn to use it. HALLELUJAH! Running at my convenience. What could be better?

I welcome your opinions on what you think is a good response to this question. There are many pros and cons to both treadmill and elliptical usage and both of them provide a great workout! 

To name a few....

Treadmill Pros:

  • Versatility - speed, incline, built in training programs
  • Natural movements - walking, jogging, sprinting
  • High work output - Propelling your body weight requires substantial effort

Treadmill Cons:

  • Tough on joints  
  • Safety issues - don't fall off! I'm always secretly worried this will happen to me and I'll bust my face and chip a tooth. 
  • Posture problems - must have the correct form
  • Can get boring and repetitive

Elliptical Pros: 

  • Non-Impact conditioning - better on joints
  • Exercises upper and lower body with use of handles
  • Reverse Stride - work different muscle groups

Elliptical Cons:

  • Momentum - usage of the machines momentum vs. your own
  • Less weight-bearing effect 




Source: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/04/20/elliptical-vs-treadmill/

I did end up counting yesterday's 1 mile on the elliptical until I make an educated decision on this. Let me know your thoughts! Your feedback is welcome to help me decide. 

01/04/2013: Miles run - 8 of 1000. Miles remaining - 992 of 1000


5 comments:

  1. Personally, I see no reason NOT to count elliptical miles; although you're working towards your goal of running 1000 miles, the goal you will also achieve is fitness, and the elliptical can still help you get there! There may not be as much of a weight-bearing effect as you would find on a treadmill, but I tend to get a better workout on an elliptical - just crank up the resistance. Also, your joints will thank you for taking a break from constant treadmill/terrain running, while still being able to rack up miles on your way to completing 1000!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi the information on this blog is just amazing it keeps me coming back time and time again ,personally i met my wife using this site so i couldnt like it any more i have done my best to promote this blog as i know that others need to read this thing ,Thanks for all your effort spent in making this fabulous resource ! ok,nice one Jake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. runnium

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again.. rodillo fluido

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for explaining all of this, and for doing so in a manner that an average person curious to know what's happening and what one might do about it can understand!bicicletas elĂ­pticas

    ReplyDelete