IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

3 Mile Personal Record

Today I set a personal record! 

After the past 2 day of having average-to-slow running times (about 9 min/miles), I decided to switch some things up today to see if they'd make any kind of impact on my time. 

I was right! :) I completed my 3 miles in 24:45 with an 8:14 min/mile (The closest I've come to that was a 3.5 mile run I did 2 weeks ago with an 8:24 min/mile). The first mile of today's 3 was completed in 7:40, which I don't think I've ever done before!

So what did I change up? 

Factors that may have impacted my time today:

1. Weather - 55 and sunny. My definition of the perfect running weather...minus the wind. I could have lived without the wind...especially going against it and uphill, but I was thankful for it when it was behind me and I was going downhill. 
2. I had cereal and fruit for breakfast instead of my normal protein shake - sometimes I think having a lot of liquid in my stomach a few hours before running can make me feel a little funny inside. Instead, I had my shake afterwards for lunch. 
3. I took Body Pump last night at Gold's Gym. While I thought it might make me sore and weak today and have a negative impact on my run, quite the opposite occurred. I felt strong and powerful.
4. I put on my "old" running shoes. I think this had the biggest impact for me today. I decided to bust out the ol' green and gold running shoes I wore last year just for kicks (pun intended). Every shoe fits differently and it was nice to have a new feeling on my feet after having worn my current shoes for the past month. These shoes aren't old or worn out, I just found a new pair I liked to replace them, so they have a few more miles left in them. I think I'll start using them at least once a week just to shake things up a bit and give my feet a change of pace (pun intended, again! I'm on a roll). 

1 more day in January! I have 4 miles to do tomorrow in order to reach my monthly goal and stay on track for 1000. 

01/30/2013: Miles run - 76 of 1000. Miles remaining - 924 of 1000

2 comments:

  1. New reader, and way to go!!! I 80 miles in one month is so great. We run around the same pace, and I'd love to run more in the 8's, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! thanks for reading :)

      Delete