IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Friday, January 11, 2013

Runners Need Protein Too

Am I the only one who thought that muscle builders and weight lifters were the only people who took protein supplements and shakes? A few years ago, I had a fear that if I started using protein powder alongside my workouts, I'd end up looking like this...

YIKES! Nooooo thank you! But after researching and talking to some workout buds, I learned that protein is a very important nutrient that everyone needs, regardless of your workout routine (and it doesn't magically turn you into a he-she). Adding protein doesn't add muscle mass without some intense weight lifting. 

Protein is great for enhanced recovery and muscle repair, fat loss, endurance, and increased growth hormone level (growth hormone helps increase muscle mass and strength, so it can improve your running performance). Source

Now, while everyone needs protein, the question always turns to "how much?" This varies depending on your level of activity, weight, and goal for your body. Obviously, my goal is MUCH different from the lovely lady above. 

According to the USDA Recommended Dietary Allowance, most people should have about .36 grams per pound of body weight (about 47 grams for someone who weighs 130lbs). However, this is not enough for athletes and runners. For us, they suggest .45-.72 grams per pound of body weight (59-94 grams for someone who weighs 130lbs).

There are many ways to get your recommended amount of protein each day. Lean meats, greek yogurt, eggs, and milk are just a few examples of protein packed foods. There are many forms of it out there, and while I do eat a balanced diet with the above mentioned foods, I also drink a protein shake every day, regardless of if I run that day or not.

My choice of protein shake:
I chose this protein powder because it was specifically made with women in mind. We all know men and women have different needs...in all aspects of life... so why should protein be any different? I buy the vanilla flavor and follow the recipe below. It seriously tastes like a cupcake in a glass! The price isn't too bad either - about $15 for a 12-ounce canister, which usually lasts me about a month. You can find it at your local grocery store or buy it on Amazon.com below (if you buy with the link provided, I get a %...cool huh?).

Ingredients: 
2 Scoops of Aria Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Banana
1 Tbsp of All-Natural Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup Water
8 Cubes of Ice

Directions:
Blend

Serving Size: 16 oz.
Calories: 350
Protein: 24 grams (14g in 2 Scoops of Aria + 8g in my peanut butter) - ALMOST 1/3 of my daily protein needs. 

What kind of protein powders do you enjoy? 




01/11/2013: Miles run - 23.5 of 1000. Miles remaining - 976.5 of 1000

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I will be dealing with some of
    these issues as well..

    My webpage: best workout for muscle gain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful! Figuring out which protein to buy is always confusing. Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete