IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Workouts to Improve your Running

It's time to throw some variety into my running schedule. While I do enjoy running and it is my favorite type of workout, I do want to mix it up and do what I can to improve and make myself a better runner. 

A few reasons why:
1. It'll make things interesting - running is relaxing and calming for me, but it can get boring and tedious at times. I want to do other workouts as well that are fun and I will benefit from.
2. I'll become faster and stronger - by doing interval, core, and strength training, I will be build more muscle in other areas of my body to help with my runs.
3. My body adapts to repetitive workouts - if I keep doing the same workout day after day, my body will eventually get used to it and I won't be getting the same type of benefits I once did. 

I've had a membership at Gold's Gym for about 10 years. I never went when I lived in Dallas because there wasn't a location very close to my apartment (excuses, excuses...I know). Now that I live in Austin, there is a Gold's Gym 5 minutes away. No excuses now! I printed off the schedule and circled the classes I was interested in taking. My list includes Body Attack, Body Pump, Zumba. Yoga, and Body Jam. 

Being the organized freak that I am, I made a calendar for my convenience.

My Aunt Tamie is an instructor at Gold's (thanks for the family discount) so I'm very excited to go to her Body Pump classes on Tuesday's (tonight!). I'm trying to drag my mom along with me to help her start getting into shape for the Capitol 10K we are running in April. It'll be a family affair! 

Last night we went to Body Attack and it was one of the tougher classes I've taken. It was a non-stop, leg intense, bootcamp style that lasted for 55 minutes straight with only a 5 minute cool down at the end. We definitely got our sweat on and it felt great! 

I love having a mix of classes with workouts that help with flexibility, upper and lower body strength, and core strength. What are some of your favorite workouts?

01/15/2013: Miles run - 33 of 1000. Miles remaining - 967 of 1000


4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! I Love Body attack. It is wonderful! I am into the Boot Camp styles now. I am a trainer and that is all my clients are wanting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so intense! It was one of the better workouts I've ever done. I am definitely going back every Monday night.

      Delete
  2. I love the Les Mills classes and I actually found that when I started taking them, they helped me sooo much in my running! I think it's because you work your overall body in the classes whereas running is more concentrated in just working your leg muscles. And I actually found that when I took Les Mills classes, my endurance got better in running and I never injure myself while running anymore so that's another plus! My fave is Body Combat but I think Body Attack is where it's at for burning those calories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you go to Gold's Gym too? I love all of the workouts there! The Zumba could use a little work, but it's not a Les Mills class. I think I'll notice a difference in my running the more and more I go to classes. This is only my first week of attending the classes, so I'll have to update yall on how my running has improved as I take them. I'm excited! I think they said you could burn up to 800 calories in one body attack class...insane!

      Delete