IT ALL STARTED WHEN I RAN A THOUSAND MILES IN 2013...

Friday, January 18, 2013

Apps for Runners

Happy Friday!!! I'm off to Pittsburgh tomorrow to see my boyfriend and I can't wait! I have to make sure to keep up with my runs while I'm there...so I'll just have to convince him to go running with me :) 

I've had quite a few people ask me which App I use to track my runs. I figured I'll just go ahead and share most of the workout Apps I have on my phone...all of which are FREE to download!

Apps I use daily:

MapMyRun - This is my most commonly used App and the one I use to track all of my outdoor runs. It logs my pace per mile, route map, distance, calories burned, and elevation. You can set up notifications for alerts when you reach a certain distance or time. I have mine configured for the lady to tell me every time I've hit another mile and my pace per mile. 







MyFitnessPal - This App is great for looking up nutrition facts, counting calories, entering exercises and calories burned, scanning barcodes to look up certain foods, dieting with friends, and keeping track of your daily and long term fitness goals.







FIT Radio - This App provides high energy workout music, specific genre selections of your choice, and the best part is that it has NO ADVERTISEMENTS. This is the main reason I use this App vs. Pandora Radio. Who needs commercials popping-up during the middle of an intense workout? Talk about a distraction!







Apps I use here and there:

Nike Training Club - NTC gives you your own personal trainer, anytime, anywhere. With over 110 custom workouts, it helps you work towards your goals to unlock special videos and healthy recipes. You can target one specific area of your body with a quick 15-minute workout or you can choose a full-body workout that lasts 30 or 45 minutes. This App provides strength, cardio, interval, and core training with step-by-step instructional videos and demonstrations for every drill. They even have celebrity athletes who do certain videos - such as Hope Solo and Shawn Johnson. 







Couch to 5K - C25K is a great App if you're a beginner runner. It lays out an 8 week program to get you off that couch to running a 5k without stopping. The exercises alternate walking and running for just 3 days a week. It even has voice alerts telling you when to warm-up, walk, run, halfway point, and cool down.







Interval Timer - When I want to do an interval run, such as alternating sprinting, running, and walking, I go to this handy App. Interval Timer keeps track of work and rest periods. You can customize your high interval time, low interval time, number of sets, rest time, and timer sounds (the Boxing Bell and Buzzer are my favorites...but you can pick your own notification sounds for when it's time to transition to the next interval). 







Apps I have downloaded but haven't used yet (we all do this, right?):


Charity Miles - My friend Kristen recommend this App and it's for a great cause! Charity Miles allows you to choose a charity and exercise of your choice (biking, walking, running) and the App will measure your distance (via GPS...so you can't use this on a machine at the gym). Once your workout is complete, they will donate $0.10 per mile for bikers and $0.25 per mile for walkers/runners to the charity you selected. You are also encouraged to share your accomplishment and donation via Facebook and Twitter to help raise awareness for your charity of choice. 







What are you some of your favorite Apps to aid you in your workouts? 

All of the photos posted are pictures of the Apps I use. If you're wanting to download any of these from the iTunes App Store, look for the above pictures to make sure they're the correct ones. 

01/18/2013: Miles run - 40 of 1000. Miles remaining - 960 of 1000

1 comment:

  1. I love RunKeeper, I use to use it before I got my Motorola Actv watch. I have been thinking about running with my phone again just to have some variety especially with the music aspect so I will keep these in mind.

    ReplyDelete